Many of us were taught manners as children; one of these was, we must never impose or ask for too much. Instead, we should simply be thankful for what have. A successful non-profit organization can only exist by receiving donations from others; this requires us to step outside of our comfort zone. Here are five helpful ways to gain the confidence to ask in 2014!
1. Know your facts. It is important to be knowledgeable about the cause your organization is fundraising for. When a potential donor is inquiring about your organization, you will be at ease to confidently provide the information needed to lead them to give.
2. Be able to say in a few sentences why you are moved by the cause. Humans are emotional beings. When others express how the cause has moved them, it has the potential of pulling on the heart strings of the potential donor. This can lead to future donations and commitment to your organization.
3. Address how you are invested in the cause. Explaining your evolvement will allow a potential donor to picture their potential investment in the organization; whether it be emotionally, financially, or physically.
4. Give a specific need and tie a dollar amount to it. For example, “$150 donation will cover a week’s worth of groceries for a family of four”. Providing a donor with specifics of what their money is going toward makes their donation tangible.
5. Ask. Just ask. No need to be afraid especially after preparing yourself with the above steps you will be ready to answer any question that my arise.
Bonus Tip! Now that you’ve asked, be sure to make giving super easy. Be prepared to email them a link or direct them on their smart phone where they can give.
Double Bonus Tips! Two things to remember - Chances are, you won’t just ask once, you will most likely need to follow up multiple times; and don’t forget to thank them! More on that to come in future posts.